Below are a series of simple steps to set up your Fitbit Charge HR and connect it to the Litmus application. It is important that you complete the setup in the order described below.
Should you have any technical problems with the setup process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the version of your Android mobile device and a description of the problem.
Getting Started With Your Android Tracking System
There are five steps needed to set up your new Fitbit and tracking app.
- Preparing your Android
- Activating your Fitbit
- Downloading the Litmus Study Companion Android App
- Creating your Litmus Health Account
- Connecting Your Fitbit
What you need to get started:
- The information provided to you by Dr. Rubin’s staff, including your unique
- Subject ID code for study enrollment
- The Fitbit provided to you by Dr. Rubin’s staff
- An internet connection (WiFi or cellular)
- Your Android mobile device
Preparing your Android
You will need to make a required change to your app update setting on Android so that you always have the latest version of the Litmus Study Companion Android App.
Enable automatic app updates on your Android mobile device:
- Open the “Google Play Store” app on your Android.
- Tap the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) on the top-left.
- Scroll down and tap on Settings.
- On the next screen, tap on “Auto-update apps” and select either “Over any network” or “Over Wi-Fi only.”
- Click “Done.”
- Your Android will now automatically download new versions of the app when available.
Activating Your Fitbit
Activating your Fitbit Charge HR and your Fitbit.com account
You will follow the activation instructions provided by Fitbit to activate your device and create an account.
- Remove your Fitbit from the box.
- Follow the instructions (provided by Fitbit) for set up. You will need to join Fitbit if you do not already have a log-in.
Fitbit setup instructions are available online at: www.fitbit.com/setup.
Customizing your Fitbit account
Once you have activated your Fitbit Charge HR tracker and created a Fitbit account, you will need to adjust the device settings for the purposes of the trial.
- Log into your Fitbit app on your Android mobile device.
- Tap the “Account” button at the bottom-right of the dashboard to access settings.
- Scroll down to the “Settings” section and tap “Advanced Settings.” In this section we will adjust several settings.
Set up for dominant hand (You need to wear the Fitbit on the dominant hand.):
- Return to the home screen of the app.
- Tap the picture of your Charge tracker in the upper right corner.
- Tap the first line where it says “Wrist.”
- Tap “Dominant.”
You have now set up your Fitbit device.
Downloading the Litmus Study Companion Android App
You will download the Litmus Study Companion Android app from the Google Play Store, just like any other app.
To download the app:
- Open the Google PlayStore on your Android mobile device.
- Search for Litmus Study Companion.
- Tap the green “Install” button.
- The app will begin downloading.
Creating Your Litmus Health Account
In order to properly track your data, you will need to create an account using the unique code on the information Dr. Rubin’s staff provided to you with your Fitbit. You will also need to connect your Fitbit to the Litmus Study Companion app that you downloaded.
To create your Litmus Health account
- Open the Litmus Study Companion app from your Android mobile device home screen.
- Click on “No account? Sign up.” underneath the blue LOGIN button.
- Tap the box next to the agreement to share your data; then tap “Next” to agree to the terms.
- You will be taken to a page to create your profile. On this screen:
- Enter your email address.
- Enter a password.
- Re-enter the same password.
- Tap “Sign Up” to create your profile.
- You are now logged in.
Once you have created your profile, you will be asked to join the study on the “Tasks” page. You will need the information Dr. Rubin’s staff provided when they gave you the Fitbit to complete these steps.
- Tap “Join a research study” under the menu.
- On the research studies page, tap the “Join” button on the screen for the UChicago IBD study.
- Confirm consent.
- Enter your Subject ID from the information provided to you by Dr. Rubin’s staff.
Note: The Subject ID is on the sticker at the top of the page. Your Subject ID is an X digit alphanumeric code.
- Once you have entered your Subject ID, tap “Enroll.”
- Your account is now created and you are ready to connect to your Fitbit for the study.
Connecting Your Fitbit to the Litmus Study Companion App
It is important to connect your Fitbit to the Litmus Study Companion app. If you do not complete this step, Dr. Rubin’s staff will not be able to collect the information they need from the Fitbit.
To connect your Fitbit:
- Open the Litmus Study Companion app. You will see the Tasks page.
- In the upper right corner, click the menu icon (three lines) to bring down the drop-down.
- Tap “Connect a device”
- The app will open a browser window to log into your Fitbit account.
- Enter the username and password you used when creating your Fitbit account and tap “Enter.”
- Tap “Yes” to confirm you want Fitbit to give the study access to your account.
- Your Fitbit is now connected to your account.