Thank you for your participation in the BMS study. This document will guide you through setup of your Garmin vivosmart 4 and the Litmus Garmin Bridge Android app.
Please follow these steps in order to set up your Garmin vívosmart 4 and connect it to the Litmus Garmin Bridge app. It is important that you complete all steps below.
Should you have any technical problems with the setup process, please email. Please include the version of your iPhone and a description of the problem.
There are five steps needed to set up your new Garmin and Litmus Garmin Bridge app.
- Preparing your iPhone
- Activating your Garmin vívosmart 4
- Downloading the Litmus Garmin Bridge Android App
- Creating your Litmus Health Account
- Connecting Your Garmin Device
What you need to get started:
- Your unique Subject ID for the study
- Your subject ID will be a 10-digit number printed on a white sticker on the Garmin device box.
- Your Device ID for the study
- Your device ID is an 8-9 digit alphanumeric number printed on the underside of the device and on a white sticker on the box the device came in.
- The Garmin vivosmart 4 provided to you by RTI
- An internet connection (WiFi or cellular)
- Your iPhone
Preparing Your iPhone
You will need to make a required change to your app update settings on iOS so that you always have the latest version of the Litmus Garmin Bridge iOS App.
Enable automatic app updates on your iPhone:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on App Store.
- On the next screen, tap or slide the toggle switch next to “App Updates” under “Automatic Downloads” so that it is green.
- Your iPhone will now automatically download new versions of the app when available.
Unsyncing Other Garmin Devices
It is imperative that you unsync your other Garmin devices (if you have any) before activating your vívosmart 4. If you have no other Garmin device, skip this step.
- Open your Garmin Connect App.
- On the bottom-right corner of the screen, select “More.”
- Scroll down and select “Garmin Devices.”
- Tap the image of the Garmin device you want to remove.
- Select the icon with three vertical dots on the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select “Remove Device.”
- You will receive a popup message. Confirm that you want to remove your device by tapping “Remove.”
- Close the Garmin Connect App and return to your device’s home screen.
- Tap the “Settings” button.
- Tap the “Bluetooth” icon.
- Find the Garmin device you want to remove, and touch the blue “i” icon to the right of the device name.
- Select “Forget This Device.”
Deleting an Existing Garmin Connect App
The Litmus Garmin Bridge app must be the only Garmin related app on your phone. Before proceeding, please follow these instructions to determine if you have a Garmin app on your phone, and delete any Garmin app you might have.
- Open your iPhone home screen and scroll all the way to the left.
- At the top of that screen, tap the search bar. Type in “Garmin” in your search bar to determine if there are any other Garmin related apps on your phone.
- If there are any Garmin apps on your phone, including the Garmin Connect App, delete them.
Activating Your Garmin Device
Activating your Garmin vívosmart 4
- Remove your Garmin device from the box.
- Connect your device to the charging clip (the port is located on the underside of the device).
- Note: Be sure to press the device onto the prongs. There will be no “clicking” sound when the device is appropriately placed. The clip will hold it in place.
- Connect the USB end of the charging clip to a power source (i.e. a computer, a charging port).
- Once the device is connected, it will turn on (a triangular symbol will appear) and automatically look for a phone to pair with.
Checking the firmware on your Garmin vívosmart 4
To ensure that data collection runs smoothly, you must ensure that your Garmin vívosmart 4 is running the latest firmware.
- Double tap the display (to wake up your device).
- Touch and hold the display for two seconds.
- Swipe across the display from left to right.
- Touch the information icon (appears as an “i”). The number displayed next to 'SW' is the current software version.
Downloading the Litmus Garmin Bridge iOS App
You will download the Litmus Garmin Bridge iOS app from the Apple App Store, just like any other app.
To download the app:
- Open the App Store on your iPhone and search for “Litmus Garmin Bridge”.
- If you cannot find the App Store, open your iPhone home screen and scroll all the way to the left.
- At the top of that screen, tap the search bar. Type in “App Store.”
- Tap the blue “Get” button at the top-right of the app listing.
- Tap the blue “Install” button when it appears.
- Enter your Apple ID password, if prompted, and tap “Done” to proceed.
- The app will begin downloading.
Connecting Your Garmin device to the Litmus Garmin Bridge iOS App
In order to properly track your data, you will need to create an account using the unique code on the information provided to you with your Garmin device. Note: Do not download the Litmus Study Companion App.
To create your Litmus Health account
- Open the Litmus Garmin Bridge app from your iPhone home screen.
- Click on “Participant Login”.
- Enter the unique 10-digit numerical code given to you with the device (Example: 1627263819)
- Note: If you experience an error logging in, double check that the code was input correctly.
It is important to connect your Garmin device to the Litmus Garmin Bridge app. If you do not complete this step, we will not be able to collect the information needed from the device.
To connect your Garmin device:
- Ensure your Garmin vívosmart 4 is powered on.
- Open the Litmus Garmin Bridge app.
- Click “Pair Device”.
- If the pairing is not initially successful, try again.
- Note: Ensure the device has not been used before. Otherwise, reset the device.
- Your Garmin device is now connected to your account. No other actions are required on your end unless the clinical administrator says so.