Below are a series of simple steps to set up your Fitbit Charge HR and connect it to the Litmus application. It is important that you complete setup in the order described below.
Should you have any technical problems with the setup process, please email: Info@litmushealth.com. Please include the version of your iOS and a description of the problem.
Getting Started With Your iOS Tracking System
There are five steps needed to set up your new Fitbit and tracking app.
- Preparing your iPhone
- Activating your Fitbit
- Downloading the Litmus Study Companion iOS App
- Creating your Litmus Health Account
- Connecting Your Fitbit
What you need to get started:
- The information provided to you by Dr. Rubin’s staff, including your unique
- Subject ID code for study enrollment
- The Fitbit provided to you by Dr. Rubin’s staff
- An internet connection (WiFi or cellular)
- Your iPhone
Preparing your iPhone
You will need to make a required change to your app update setting on iOS, so that you always have the latest version of the Litmus Study Companion iOS App.
Enable automatic app updates on your iPhone:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on iTunes and App Stores.
- On the next screen, tap or slide the toggle switch next to “Updates” so that it is green.
- Your iPhone will now automatically download new versions of the app when available.
Activating Your Fitbit
Activating your Fitbit Charge HR and your Fitbit.com account
You will follow the activation instructions provided by Fitbit to activate your device and create an account.
- Remove your Fitbit from the box.
- Follow the instructions (provided by Fitbit) for set up. You will need to join Fitbit if you do not already have a log-in.
Fitbit setup instructions are available online at: www.fitbit.com/setup
Customizing your Fitbit account
Once you have activated your Fitbit Charge HR tracker and created a Fitbit account, you will need to adjust the device settings for the purposes of the trial.
- Log into your Fitbit app on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Account” button at the top-right of the dashboard to access your account information.
- Scroll down to the “Settings” section and tap “Advanced Settings.”
In this section we will adjust several settings.
Adjust sleep sensitivity:
- Tap the back button at the top left of the screen to return to the Advanced Settings page.
- Tap “Sleep Sensitivity.”
- Tap “Sensitive.”
Set up for dominant hand:
- Tap the “Dashboard” icon at the bottom left of the screen to return to the dashboard.
- Tap the picture of your Charge tracker.
- Tap the first line where it says “Wrist.”
- Tap “Dominant.”
Downloading the Litmus Study Companion iOS App
You will download the Litmus Study Companion iOS app from the Apple App Store, just like any other app.
To download the app:
- Open the App Store app on your iPhone.
- Search “Litmus Study Companion” in the search bar.
- Tap the blue “Get” button at the top-right of the app listing.
- Tap the blue “Install” button when it appears.
- Enter your Apple ID password, if prompted, and tap “Done” to proceed.
- The app will begin downloading.
Creating Your Litmus Health Account
In order to properly track your data, you will need to create an account using the unique code on the paperwork Dr. Rubin’s staff provided to you with your Fitbit. You will also need to connect your Fitbit to the Litmus Study Companion app that you downloaded.
To create your Litmus Health account
- Open the Litmus Study Companion app from your iPhone home screen.
- Tap the box next to the agreement to share your data, then tap “Next” to agree to the terms.
- You will be taken to a page to create your profile. On this screen:
Enter your email address.
Enter a password.
Re-enter the same password.
Tap “Sign Up” to create your profile.
You are now logged in.
Once you have created your profile, you will be asked to join the study on the “Tasks” page. You will need the information Dr. Rubin’s staff provided when they gave you the Fitbit to complete these steps.
- Tap “Join a study” under the menu.
- On the research studies page, tap the “Join” button on the screen for the UChicago IBD study.
- Confirm consent.
- Enter your Subject ID from the paperwork provided to you by Dr. Rubin’s staff.
Note: The subject ID is on the sticker at the top of the page. Your subject ID is an X digit alphanumeric code.
- Once you have entered your Subject ID, tap “Enroll.”
- Your account is now created and you are ready to connect to your Fitbit for the study.
Connecting Your Fitbit to the Litmus Study Companion App
It is important to connect your Fitbit to the Litmus Study Companion app. If you do not complete this step, Dr. Rubin’s staff will not be able to collect the information they need from the Fitbit.
To connect your Fitbit:
- Open the Litmus Study Companion app. You will see the Tasks page.
- In the upper right corner, click the menu icon (three lines) to bring down the drop-down.
- Tap “Connect a device.”
- The app will open a browser window to log into your Fitbit account.
- Enter the username and password you used when creating your Fitbit account and tap “Enter”
- Tap “Yes” to confirm you want Fitbit to give the study access to your account.
- Scroll through the tutorial on your Charge HR.
- Your Fitbit is now connected to your account.